Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Birthday Time

I can hardly believe Reed is about to turn TWO!  Reed was born on St. Patrick's Day, which is fun, and this year the 17th falls on a Saturday.  I have been excited about getting to celebrate with a St. Patrick's themed party on his actual birthday.  I've had a pinterest board running since basically last year, and have made all sorts of lofty plans.

...As it turns out, when said birthday party is four weeks away from your due date, you don't really feel like crafting your heart out, cleaning your house for party guests, or generally doing much of anything more than necessary.  SO, we are going to have Reed's party at a park this year (which means it will probably storm...), and he is SUPER excited about his upcoming birthday and so am I!  We've been sick around our house and have gotten a slow start on the party details, but I will definitely check back in with a 2nd birthday blog post!

Meanwhile, I've been thinking about his first birthday and am in awe of how much he has grown up in a year.  Doesn't he just look like such a little baby at his party!?


A walk down first birthday party memory lane...

Reed's first birthday party was a homemade and sentimental backyard shindig.  We themed his party Let's Have a Ball since "ball" was his first real word and his party was during march madness.  The decor colors were born out of a set of scrapbook paper I already had on hand.  I used the paper to make lots of banners and other decor, and tried to match everything else from there.  I really enjoyed the process of planning his party, and was able to save a lot of money by DIYing, thus allowing us to celebrate our little guy with a good-sized gathering of our people! :)


I made the invitations in Pages, basically by googling until I had an idea I thought I could figure out how to recreate!  I also printed thank you cards using a picture from the party, and matched both to the scrapbook paper colors.

My good friend Ashley made Reed's birthday cake, again matched to the color and ball theme.  She did such a great job!  (I have mentioned Ashley's cakes and cupcakes before; seriously let me know if you're interested in her bakery!)

Reed's smash cake was a basketball. :)

We were hoping for good weather, and got an amazingly beautiful March day!  We borrowed card tables to set up in the backyard and put out some yard toys, a slide, and bubbles for Reed and his friends to enjoy.  It was actually very warm, so we had seating and toys inside as well!

 For thrifty centerpieces, I saved applesauce jars and filled them with gumballs-- "balls" which Reed was obsessed with at the time!  (Turns out little bugs crawl out of those things, fyi...) :)


Ashley brought left over icing from the birthday cake and we set up a station where guests could decorate cookies to look like various sports balls (or other lil' artist masterpieces). :)

A couple of other sentimental details...

We used an "autograph ball" for a guest book.  Reed still loves his birthday soccer ball!

I made and hung a month-by-month banner of Reed's first year.  You might recognize it from this photo project post.


 I set out album pages of Matt's first birthday and my first birthday, which were fun to look at and compare with Reed at age one!

I so enjoyed planning and celebrating Reed's first birthday, but just looking through these pictures from last year makes me tired! :)  Hopefully, I can come up with some crafty and fun, yet simple party ideas in the next couple of weeks.  I know I will at least enjoy NOT setting up at my house! :)  Hope you enjoyed the party pics.  Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe how crafty and clever you are.

    This is unbelievable. How will Molly's shindigs match up.

    Happy 2 year birthday, Reed.

    Man. That went by so fast.

    ReplyDelete