Saturday, February 11, 2012

"Oh, okay... That will be nice"

Reed loves to talk, and he never fails to keep me laughing.  These are a few of my favorite exchanges from the past several months...

After every meal, Matt prompts Reed to tell me thank you.  (Which, side note, is such a cool Dad move.  Love that Matt is intentionally teaching Reed to be grateful and to express thanks consistently).  Reed is now an expert thanker.  He leans forward, cocks his head wayyy to the side, and says in a high pitched, enthusiastic voice: "tankyoo mommy!"  (Or "tankyoo, _____")  It is the cutest thing!

Here, Reed found a "polka dot" on his pancake:

I can think of several of my parenting moves that have backfired already, but here's one for you: When I was first teaching Reed to blow his nose, I was overly enthusiastic about getting him to blow hard enough for boogers to come out into the tissue and would show him when we "got one."  Nowadays, he likes to ride in the car and pick his nose and tell me when he's "got one."  Oops, fail.

Most toddlers quickly and correctly learn the word "mine!"  I love that Reed says that "his" things are "mine's."  Ha ha!

A few weeks ago, I called to check in on a friend who was bringing home her first baby.  After I got off of the phone, I joined Matt and Reed and reminisced about our own hospital stay and first weeks at home.  I turned to Reed, and asked him what it sounds like when a baby cries.  He squinted his eyes and made a high-pitched squeaking noise.  Please note: Reed always seems sympathetic toward crying babies in the store, and tells me why they are crying (ie- Her wants to go home.  He wants a cookie, etc)  Me: "Reed, baby sister might get sad and cry when she gets here...  What are you going to do?"  I expected a sweet answer, like hug her or play with her, but without missing a beat, Reed raised his hand in the air and demonstrated his intentions as he declared, "Oh, I hit her!"  Oh boy...  Fortunately, there was no violence, only a proud smile, when Reed got to "hold" his new friend, baby Calder:

Today, we went to pick up Matt's car from the shop.  Reed always wants to know where we are going so I told him we were heading to the car doctor to pick up Daddy's car and take it home.  He got antsy while Matt was inside checking out, so I decided to seize the opportunity to tell Reed that in several weeks mommy and daddy will go to the baby doctor to pick up sister and then bring her home.  His response was, " Oh, okay... that will be nice."  Ha.

These probably aren't as funny or sweet to anyone else as they are to me, but I can't help but think how quickly Reed is growing and learning and changing.  Honestly, I can't remember most of the little stories I had in my head a couple of months ago, and these ones are just what came to mind as I sit here tonight.  Reed's baby book doesn't have pages for this kind of stuff anymore. :(  Anyone out there have a creative, efficient way that they keep track of toddler stories or antics?  Maybe I will follow my own suggestion and start a little note card box like I mentioned way back when at the end of this post.

Hope you've had a great weekend, filled with laughs. :)

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe how "old" Reed sounds. *sigh*

    Glad things are well with you -- those stories are so sweet of him -- both the "tankyoo" and the "got one." bwha....

    ReplyDelete