Thursday, January 12, 2012

Reed's Nursery (Farewell)

Besides getting Reed all settled in his big boy bed and getting the curtains hung (with Reed's help of course), Project Big Boy Room is pretty slow going...

I did take a bunch of pictures of Reed's nursery before the transition chaos ensued.  Thought I would post (read: cry over) those today just for fun, and then later this week share (and hopefully get!) some ideas for our girly nursery transformation and for Reed's big boy room...

When we moved into our house, we knew right away which room would be our nursery.  It was the smallest room, closest to the master bedroom, and had a cute window and a teeny tiny fan.  When we bought the house, the "baby room" looked like this:
It stayed empty for the most part, and as we got closer to wanting to get it ready for a growing family, our friend Chad told Matt that the best way to get rid of the wall paper border was to mud (is that the correct term?) over the border, sand it, and then prime and paint the room... A tip that worked great, and saved us a bunch of hassle!  (Yes, we have taken down wallpaper before. No, we never want to do it again!) :)
The room actually got painted twice (sorry, Matt), first getting ahead of ourselves with the green color, then with neutral walls to better go with the awesome green crib our friends the Bowlers gave us.  Sarah helped me pick out the second wall color as well as a complementary green that Matt painted my white college-days dresser.  My sister passed on a glider, and our friend Barbara recovered it for us in a neutral fabric.  I looked at lots of fabric samples for the chair, but found sail cloth curtains on super clearance (spent $8.50) at Target!  So on top of the blessing of being given our furniture pieces, we saved even more by shopping sales and (in the long run) by going with gender neutral colors for the furniture and walls.

We brought sweet baby Reed home to his room in March 2010.  See him in there!?  Love.
And below are the pictures I took before commencing Project Big Boy Room.  (You'll notice the crib is dropped, so the valance-made-crib-skirt pictured above is retired.  And the missing angle is toward his closet, but you already know more than you ever cared to about Reed's closet and clothes). ;)

...Seems like just yesterday!  The curtains, fabric bins (one is missing in picture), clothes and toys are now in Reed's new room, the changing pad cover, crib sheet, and skirt are packed away, and all of the furniture pieces are staying put.  Stay tuned as Project Big Boy Room and Operation: Girly Nursery continue. :)


Notes:
Furniture: Gently used/ repainted pieces
Curtains: $20ish from Anna's Linens (exact pattern no longer available)
Crib sheet/Changing pad cover: Carter's Blue Dot
Cubicle Shelf and Fabric bins: Target
Shelf above dresser: Ikea (also the small light blue bins)


No comments:

Post a Comment