Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Christmas Roundup

I'm back to unload some Christmas Cheer!  So far this holly jolly season we've...

...decked the halls:
For the first time in a while, I left a good chunk of the Christmas decor in the boxes.  But, don't worry, we're still feeling a lot of falalala.


...decorated our tree:
Reed was so proud of himself for adorning the branches with things like the cardboard ornament separators and trash.  He was cute.  I had forgotten that Reed's 'Baby's 1st Christmas' ornament (from Grammy) was a Mickey ornament... made me smile when we pulled it out since he is crazy about Mickey and pals.  Reed loves the tree.  Sometimes he walks up to it and belts "Oh Christmas Tree," a good lead in to "teach the children that the pure color of the stately fir tree remains green all year round, depicting the everlasting hope of mankind, all the needles point heavenward, making it a symbol of man's thoughts turning toward heaven... that the star was the heavenly sign of promises long ago.  God promised a Savior for the World, and the star was the sign of fulfillment of His promise" (source).


...made ornaments and decorated cookies with cousins:
Less is more, Reed. ;)  We also tried to make snickerdoodles with Daddy, but they didn't turn out so well.  May or may not have anything to do with the ingredients that ended up all over Reed and on the floors.  Too soon for baking?

...taken a couple of driving detours on the way home to point out Christmas lights to Reed...  But I'm super excited to visit the Callaway Gardens Fantasy in Lights on the 26th when we get together with our Cagle family.  Matt and I have never been before, and I hope we have a lot of fun bundling up and getting hot chocolate and snacks as we ride the "jolly trolley" through the lights display.  (My brother-in-law got a great deal on tickets through work, but I will check back in and let you know if it's worth a trip for next year!)

...eaten candy canes.
Okay, so that's not a stand alone tradition per se, but Reed has been realllly into candy canes (aka "canes") lately.  He pulls them on and off the tree, breaks them, and is always asking for one.  I think he will enjoy the "story" of the candy cane next year or so!

...still been trucking along with our Jesse Tree.
 As I expected, it is way over Reed's head for the most part, but it has been fun to read some of the stories in His Jesus Storybook Bible together.  By far, my favorite thing he has picked up is from the devotion about Abraham and Isaac; if you ask Reed who is the Lamb of God, he will answer "Jesus."  Mmm, hold that deep in your heart, sweet baby boy!!


And up next...


Christmas in France- I've mentioned before my family's tradition of celebrating Christmas by country.  My Mom implemented the idea a couple of years ago and so far we have done Noche Buena (Mexican Christmas Eve) and il Natale (Italian Christmas).  We always get kind of into the planning- traditions, games, food- and I LOVE it... but I'm totally cheesy like that!  I will definitely check back in after the 26th and let you know how la jour de Noel unfolds!  I hear Pere Fouettard gives out spankings to bad children in France! :) (Side note: I was just thinking as I write this- I wonder if this tradition of studying the celebration of Christmas in other cultures will help with the Saint Nicholas/Santa thing.  Plus, it's always a good way to highlight how people in other parts of the world celebrate Jesus' birth).


Christmas Morning- At the Jesse Tree party I went to a month or so ago, we all shared favorite Christmas traditions.  You have probably heard of this one or you may already do this, but I totally want to implement the simple practice of singing "Happy Birthday" to Jesus on Christmas morning.  Reed LOVES singing happy birthday and will get a big kick out of it.  I think it is such a simple and straightforward way to set the tone for giving gifts; we give in celebration of God's greatest gift, his Son, our Savior, Jesus Christ.  Some years we might make a birthday cake together, but for now we still travel on Christmas Day so our birthday party will probably be over breakfast, with candles in our cinnamon rolls that morning. :)

I think that's the round up so far this year... Any new or favorite ways you are celebrating the season?

2 comments:

  1. I love this post! I love the Christmas by Country idea. Very fun AND educational. I hope you and your growing family have a wonderful Christmas, Danielle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww. This is so great.

    To have all of this for posterity.

    I love your wishing to sing happy birthday to Jesus. :)

    ReplyDelete