Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Laundry Closet

I love laundry rooms.  I see pictures like these and swoon...

source
source
source
I don't actually have a laundry room, though; I have the classic accordion-doored laundry closet.  No big deal.  If I had to put square footage somewhere, it probably wouldn't be in the laundry room anyway. :)  Plus, laundry is my chore I am really good at keeping up with, and perhaps I owe that to my lack of a spacious laundry room to let clothes pile up in... it's all wash it, dry it, fold it, and move it up in here! :)  If you too have a laundry closet in your home, then I have a basic transformation to share with you today.  (If you have a laundry room that looks like the dreamy pictures above, go fold clothes in it or something!)

Anyway, when we bought our house this was the online picture of the laundry nook:
(This picture always kind of made me laugh, because all of the pictures of our for-sale house were beautiful and really professional, and I just kind of wondered why the photographers didn't just pull out the laundry room clutter or at least the hanging clothes when they snapped the photo). Ha.

We did a very basic re-do when we moved in, and now it looks like this:


We:
- Painted.  (Note: the black cable line in the corner used to be painted over and blend in, but we had to have it replaced.  AND it is still a dead cable line.  Fail.)
- Installed a small storage shelf above the dryer to hold laundry supplies
- Installed an organizational thingy on the right-hand wall for the ironing board and ironing supplies
- Flipped the original white wire shelf upside down and reinstalled at an angle, to hold laundry baskets. 

This last shelf was the part I really wanted to share with you if you are the proud owner of a laundry closet.  My Dad installed a shelf this way in my Mom's laundry room (as far as I know he thought it up), so I got Matt to put one in ours too.  I took a closer picture of the upside down install, and I think they had to saw/cut the openings in the support brackets a little to adjust the fit.  (Feel free to contact me, if you have any real questions about the shelf process).

I am not much of a hamper person.  I prefer to drop off dirty laundry in the laundry room, so having baskets in there was a must.  We use one for lights, one for darks, and one for special wash.  As we add more laundry to our family, I might need to tweak our system (maybe each kid has a hamper in their own room?), but we'll get there when we get there.

I would love it if Matt would paint back over the new (but still broken!) cable line (hint, hint), and I want to cover up the plug and outlet with a little "lost socks" artwork/system like this one I pinned on pinterest.
source

And, maybe use some empty wall space in the hallway for a diy drying rack like this one:
source
Happy laundering!  Any other ideas for laundry closets?

21 comments:

  1. I bragged on ya'll about that laundry room idea. So inventive.

    If we ever redo ours, I'm stealing.

    I love how people write. Fail.

    It so amusing. Pass.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh...

    one more thing...

    I get ENVY when I see people who actually have laundry rooms. I mean rooms -- like the size of a room.

    Jealous.

    Unlike my side by side in the hall. Fail.

    Note: I'm reading these posts out of order -- youngest to oldest so, my comment above, is counting on you to read my posts in order.

    Bwha.

    Fail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have a "fail" for a laundry "room" and I use the word "room" quite loosely! LOL! I have my w/d on one wall, a single closet on the left wall, and on the right our back door. I hate utility rooms that are an after thought! WHEN we build, I know I exactly what I am building...until then, THIS is on my hubby's to do list!!!

      Delete
  3. this is great!! can you tell me what size shelf & brackets you used?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbi, Thanks! The shelf depth is just under 20" (and of course the length is whatever fits your laundry closet). The brackets are approx. 19" Remember the brackets are going to connect at a little bit of a different angled than intended, so you will likely have to cut at the opening a little. Good luck! :)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your post & your ideas, especially the upside-down tilted shelf. Would like to suggest that you put a metal lid (like a cookie tin?) over your electric socket rather than your sock hanger. You don't want to add a fire-starter source to your laundry room. I suppose you could attach your sock thing to the outside of the tin for decor (or paint an interesting sign on it - or just use a decorative tin).
    I attach a delicates bag to each of my four laundry baskets (darks; whites; colors-blue/green; colors-red/yellow) - I rarely wash separate delicates loads, so having the separate bags makes washing them (most of the time) with regular loads easier. Sorting is done as dirty laundry is put in the closet (& people empty their pockets & zip zippers, too). Also - my baskets are the size of my washer capacity, so when the basket's full, it's time to do that load.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea on the tin, Mimi. Great laundry organization ideas too! Thanks.

      Delete
    2. I love this basic and very organized concept! It would easily improve my current "non-existent" organized laundry room! I also like MiMi's idea of having baskets that are the size of my washer capacity. I would ADD a mesh SOCK BAG to each laundry basket for ALL SOCKS TO BE PLACED in when taken off and then washed, dried and given to the person to whom they belong (name or color coded for each family member). Great Ideas!!

      Delete
  6. Just found your blog from a pinterest pin. I love this idea and it is just what I needed to see. I also am jealous of those gorgeous, big laundry rooms when I see them, but I don't want to dedicate all that floorspace to laundry! Having a small laundry area does make it imperative for me to keep the laundry done too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this idea so much, I just had a shelf installed over my washer/dryer like it!! I didn't do the caddy though. I have front loaders with the pedastals so I didn't have the space. I am so excited for the organization!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,

    Love this idea with the shelf. I am one of those people who has a laundry basket in each child's room (3) and although it works really well for me I always seem to be in need of an extra one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I was wondering how deep the shelf you used was. I have 12" ones but they aren't deep enough for my laundry baskets to be side ways and certainly not long ways. I love love love this idea and literally tore apart my existing closet maid areas (the toy room! and the current laundry area) trying to make this work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Michelle! The shelf depth is just under 20," and my baskets are just basic ones from (I think) Walmart. Good luck with your project! :)

      Delete
  10. Do you know what style shelf you used for the flipped angled shelf? Or where you bought it? We can only find the tight mesh in 20" depth but I don't think tight mesh will work with the braces. The regular/linen style we can only get in 16" depth. Also, we are having trouble figuring out how to get the braces to fit so they support the shelf when it's flipped over. I know in previous comments you say you have to cut. Can you provide anymore specific details? Thanks a lot!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, Any luck with finding the shelf? I love this idea but not sure what type of shelf to get.

      Delete
  11. I love this! Its perfect for small Laundry rooms or areas. I'm definitly going to show my hubby this. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you know the angle the shelf is at? my garage holds my laundry and I am forever trying to organize that area hoping this will help! !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes! Where did you get the shelf? The deepest we can find is 16". Would love to find 20".

    ReplyDelete
  14. 20 inch brackets

    http://store.closetmaid.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10051&storeId=10151&langId=-1&top_category=10005&parent_category_rn=10055&categoryId=10175&productId=10179

    ReplyDelete