Monday, July 25, 2011

Little Man Vintage (& a Recipe)


Some friends and I recently hosted a baby shower for a sweet momma to be, Becca, who is adding a little boy to her family.  Finding inspiration all over the crafty corners of the internet and bloggy world, we decided to go with a vintage “little man” theme—complete with mustaches, paper airplanes, and bow ties.  The shower theme turned out so cute and fun that I really wanted to share some of the pictures and ideas!  (Photos shown here are by photographer Emily Morgan, and I should also say that Emily (my sister-in-law!) is crazy-crafty and responsible for carrying out a large percentage of the cuteness featured here). ;)

The hand-stamped invitations set the “homemade” tone for our little man vintage vibe.

Emily (crafter extraordinaire) and Becca (the baby mama) sporting some chocolate ‘staches.  Love them!

For beverages, we served sweet tea, water, and lemonade presented in carafes/pitchers.  I loved the berries in the lemonade, and the mason jars with “bling” (vintage candy sticks in shower colors).  The paper airplane banner was strung over the beverage table.

Lately I have seen a lot of clotheslines used at showers as décor-meets-gift-from-hostess.  I love the idea as well as the look.  Emily incorporated “BOY” letters into the little man digs that we hung for Becca/Baby Caden.  Note that the clothesline also ties in with the stamp used on the invites!  Score.


The food table was kind of the decorative focal point of the shindig.  The centerpiece was an antique baby scale balancing mason jars of blue hydrangeas, and flanked by more mason jars, (some holding redvines licorice), and a few vintage toys.  The image above on the right shows one of my culinary contributions, m&m pretzels.  (I included the recipe instructions at the end of the post!)  In keeping with our color scheme, I used only brown blue and red m&ms.  The colors turned out a little bit too bright, I thought, but serving them in the galvanized metal tin tamed the overall ‘pop’ some. :)  I am sure there are candy choices to tie in lots of various color schemes.


And, of course, I brought home a chocolate mustache for my own handsome little man! :)
(photo by Abbey Mac)


Festive Pretzels Treats
You will need:
Miniature pretzels (waffles or twists)
Hershey’s Hugs and or Kisses
M&Ms or other candy

Heat oven to 250F.  Place pretzels on baking sheet, and top each pretzel with an (unwrapped!) Hershey’s chocolate.  Bake for about 5 minutes.  Remove from oven and quickly press an M&M (or other candy) into each Hershey’s candy.  Allow treats to cool, then place entire cookie sheet (or transfer to plate) into refrigerator to set.  If transferring to a party (like maybe a baby shower in the summer!), I would even store them in the freezer overnight to prevent melting en route.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Looks fabulous! I made the pretzel treats last week but used a rolo instead. They are divine...great photos! pbj

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE rolos! That sounds fabulous- must try it! :)

    ReplyDelete